The exercise we ended up doing was actually pretty fun and a good way to lighten up a long session.
Here's what we did:
- Before the session, collect some play money (either from a board game or create your own) in a number of denominations
- Once all of the requirements are written on index cards, lay the cards on the table
- Give each participant their "budget" (in this case, our budget was £1000, divided into £200, £100, £50 and £20 notes)
- Get everyone to "spend" their money on the requirements, piling their money on top of the index cards
- Send the group on a coffee break and tally up the piles of money on each card
- Arrange cards in descending order of money spent on them.
How do you do your priorisation exercises in a large group workshop?